DOWNLOAD THE SONGSHEET
Thanks to Sharon Baird who contributed this song to BUG, the songsheet has been prepared as recorded by Linda Ronstadt. You can play along!
Springsteen wrote this as a love song to his second wife, Patti, who he married in 1989. He called it, "One of my best songs about the dedication to one another that comes with love." This was regularly performed on the 1999 E Street Band Reunion tour. Springsteen, Little Steven Van Zandt, Clarence Clemons, and Patti Scialfa took turns singing.
Dion DiMucci covered this on his 2000 album Deja Nu. A fan of Dion's, Springsteen contributed to the liner notes. Others who recorded the song include:
- Linda Ronstadt on the 1998 album “We Ran”
- Faith Hill on the 1999 album Breathe
- Paul Carrack on the 2012 album Good Feeling
- The Wave Pictures on the 2009 single "If I Should Fall Behind"
- Robin and Linda Williams on the 2002 album Visions of Love
- Derek Ryan from the 2013 album Country Soul