NOTE: You must register by email to participate in this event as spots are limited! Please read all the information below.
The IN FROM THE COLD program at Parkdale United Church provides people of all ages a warm and inviting place to spend an afternoon, get a hot meal, and enjoy live music. It means so much to the folks - they're so appreciative, singing and clapping along with every song! A very fun, casual event!
WHEN: Saturday, March 18, 2023
TIME: 2:30 to 4 p.m. (note the change of start time from 2 to 2:30)
We must all use the Gladstone St. door - that door will be open for clients at 2:00, although there should be a church volunteer at that door around 1:45 to open it up for you if you knock and let them know you're a musician. Please arrive on stage no later than 2:15 in order to set up your music stand, grab a binder, and get settled in your spot.
WHERE: Parkdale United Church, 429 Parkdale Avenue.
As in past years, we'll be playing on the stage in Tape Hall (basement level). We must all enter through the Gladstone door beside the Gladstone lot. A church volunteer should be near the door to open it after 1:45 p.m. - knock/ring and let them know you're a musician. Doors open to IFTC clients at 2 p.m. Go down the stairs to the basement. Coats and instrument cases can be left in the "choir room" which is right behind the stage in Tape Hall. Take your valuables such as purses and wallets to the stage with you.
Here is a link to the floor plan of the church Church Floor Plans – Parkdale United Church The bottom of the floor plans pictured is Gladstone St.; the left side of the floor plan is Parkdale Ave.
HOW TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE: We'll be taking fifteen (15) ukulele players. I'll create a waiting list of volunteers, so email me if you'd like to participate. Please send an email with your name and phone number to Sue@bytownukulele.ca. Also let me know:
- if you have a music stand; and
- if you plan on using your device (such as an iPad or notebook) for your music, or whether you'd prefer to use one of our BUG Event printed binders that we'll bring with us.
PARKING: We've just found out that there is a wedding scheduled in the church at 2:00 that day, so all of us must enter by the Gladstone St. door as noted above. NOTE: Be sure to let the door attendants know that you are the MUSICIANS. You do not have to wait in the line-up to get in.
- Gladstone Parking Lot: There is a small parking area off of Gladstone where three (3) spots will be saved for BUG members. If you have mobility issues and appreciate a spot in this parking lot, please let me know by emailing me at Sue@bytownukulele.ca.
- Memorial Hall Parking Lot: All other BUG volunteers driving to the venue should use the Memorial Hall parking lot on the north side of the church. The entry to the parking lot is off of Parkdale Ave. It may be crowded as there is a wedding at 2:00 p.m. as well. You will all have to walk around and enter by the Gladstone St. door.
MUSIC: We'll be bringing along the revised BUG Event Songbook binders for you to play from. If you'd rather use your own device to play from, you must be sure you're using the most up-to-date version of the BUG Event PDF Songbook as I may be making revisions and changes right up until the day before the event.
Here is a short list of songs from the BUG Event songbook that we'll be playing - we'll play lots of the "kitchen party" songs since the day before we play is St. Paddy's Day.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- music stand
- kazoo (if you have one)
- feel free to sport some green, BUG t-shirt, or whatever you fancy
- BIG SMILES and enthusiastic singing!
It's going to be so much fun to be out in the community again!